Find blog posts about:

Saturday, 18 February 2017

Grungy birthday card

Hello everyone

Today I'd like to share a birthday card I made a couple of weeks ago which uses mainly inks and stamps.
 Materials used:
Sweet Dixie Nesting Star dies
distress inks: mermaid lagoon, fossilized amber, evergreen bough, broken china, pumice stone
archival ink: jet black
stamp sets: Crafter's Companion Textures Elements sets Words To Inspire 1 and Splats And Accessories 2; Signature Collection Just For Men Urban Graffiti
All of which can be purchased at our shop:

1. I began by taking a piece of artist acrylic cardstock and blending the first four distress inks until I was happy with the way it looked. This cardstock is great because the inks don't soak into it in the same way as standard cardstock, so it makes blending the inks a breeze, and it's textured, which I love. We don't yet stock this particular kind of cardstock in the shop but we do stock Tim Holtz's new Heavystock and his Watercolour cardstock, either of which would work equally well.

2. I chose a bold image of a guitar from some papers I've had for a few years now and fussy cut around it and figured out where to place it on the card.

3. The two Textures Elements stamp sets come as one rubber sheet per set, with various images etched into the sheet, so I always cut these up so I can use them individually.

4. So the next step was to add lots of detail and interest using the stamp sets and a mix of distress inks and archival inks. Tip: even if you're using a clear polymer stamp rather than a rubber stamp, you can apply distress ink to the stamp, then spritz it with water before stamping onto your project, which will give you a less defined image, almost watercolour in style, which I find works well in my grungy projects. It can seem as if the water-based distress ink isn't "sticking" to the clear polymer stamp, but it is there! Keep adding detail, building the layers, until you're happy with how it looks. I also did some spritz & flick with water and used a piece of kitchen towelling to dab away the water, which has the effect of lifting the ink off the card to give it a rain splattered appearance.

5. Once I was happy with the detail on my background I fixed the guitar image in place. (You could also use big bold images stamped using archival ink in place of images printed on paper or card.)

6. I stamped the sentiment "happy birthday" using jet black archival ink.

7. The stars were produced using two different sized dies from a nesting star dies set - to make the star with the hollow centre you simply place the smaller die inside the larger one and send it through the die cutting machine in one go. This also leaves you with a smaller star to use if you wish.

8. I wrapped some embroidery floss around the card twice, crossing it over on the front and tying in a simple knot and trimming the ends, then I fixed my stars in place using foam squares. I had a couple of small stars left so I glued them directly onto the card.

9. I layered this onto a piece of black cardstock, and then onto a white base card.

This grungy card came together really well and once you get the hang of using texture stamps to add interest you'll be addicted! It's so satisfying when a card comes together in this way, and the recipient was delighted with it!

Thanks for visiting. Back soon!
Julie x

No comments:

Post a Comment