Find blog posts about:

Wednesday, 23 August 2017

Inspiration Using Pion Design's The Songbird's Secret

Hi everyone

Julie here and today I'd like to share a piece which was created using elements from Pion Design's Collection The Songbird's Secret.


I decided to make a piece to fit in a 8x8 inch wooden deep frame. This piece was put together on some thick board but you could use canvas as a base, or wood, for example.

I began by gathering the papers and spent a few minutes having a good look at them before settling on the elements I wanted to incorporate in my piece. I have to confess that the background I chose is probably my favourite one in this collection - blossom branches - always reminds me of vintage wallpaper in stately homes when I see this kind of patterning and I just love it.

So I cut my background - the papers are 12x12 inches with four 6x6 inch designs on each sheet.

Next I chose the quote and fussy cut some butterflies from the borders sheet. This takes a bit of time but it's worth it.




The next step was figuring out my layout.


When I was happy with the placement it was time to start building my piece.

I glued the backing paper to a piece of board large enough to fit inside the frame (note: this needs to be larger than the actual aperture so it sits in the back of the frame). I also inked around the edges to darken or age it using Pumice Stone Distress Ink.


I roughed up the edges of the quote using the blade of my scissors and then inked it and the butterflies all around the edges.


I glued the quote onto a piece of card to add dimension and then fixed all the pieces in place. At this point I decided to add cream lace all around the edges. Once this was done I selected some flowers to fix in the bottom right corner and glued them in place, along with some stems which I wound around my pokey tool to turn them into spirals. Once dried I added some touches of white acrylic paint using my finger tip to knock back the colour a little and give a bit of a shabby appearance.


I decided to paint my wooden frame so I gave it a coat of pale blue acrylic, left that to dry and then went over it with a coat of white. Once that was dry I took a couple of emery boards and took some of it back to bare wood and some back to the blue, to give an aged, shabby appearance. Et voila! C'est finis! Here's the finished piece again.


This was an easy project and if you'd like to have a go you can buy the Pion Papers in our shop. We also sell small bottles of strong acrylic glue (Cosmic Shimmer), distress inks, acrylic paints, paper/mulberry flowers and pretty lace.

I hope you like this piece and would love it if you left a comment.

Back soon!

Julie x

No comments:

Post a Comment